Skip to main content

Reverse Advent Calendar


I've created a reverse advent calendar, whereby instead of kids receiving a small gift/chocolate/lolly each day of December leading up to Christmas, they choose a toy/belonging that they will give up, and donate to a charity that will pass it on to children who otherwise wouldn't get any gifts on Christmas.

I know my nephew is going to be showered with gifts this Christmas, more than he'll be able to play with, which also means that a lot of the toys he's received previously will be pushed to the bottom of the toy box. Most of these toys are in near perfect condition, which would make it a shame for them to be forgotten at the bottom of a box, they could actually be enjoyed by another child.

By choosing toys to donate, and understanding why he's doing it, he'll learn generosity and selflessness, knowing that he's helping to make another child's Christmas as good as his. There's also the advantage that his room won't get so messy with an overload of toys, but most of all, it will hopefully make Christmas brighter for however many kids that received these toys.

The idea is that on each 'Donate Day' of the calendar, he'll choose a toy from the category that's written for that day, with a few special ones sprinkled in on different days.

I really think this could be a great way to enrich the lives of not only the kids receiving them, but also the kids donating their toys.

I've created the above one for my nephew, so it's geared toward a boy, but if you would like to create your own, for a daughter, or with different categories, here is a blank version  that you can download.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Windows' 'Send To' More Powerful With AutoHotKey and TeraCopy

I'm a real stickler for organizing my files on my computer. Every file type has its right place to be within my directory structure. I regularly cut and paste files from my download/USB/wherever folders, and then paste them into the right location, after navigating to that folder, but I wanted to do it a better way. I wanted to be able to right click on the file, and then send it to its destination, with only one click (well two if you count the right click). Now Windows has its 'Send To' option in the right click menu, however that copies the file. I would obviously then have to remember to delete the file from the source directory once the copying was completed. This would be a fine solution, however I wanted to do it even quicker than that. And that also leaves open the problem of possibly not knowing which files have been sent (when sending multiple files). There is also the option of adding the 'Move to Folder' (usually found in Edit > Move To Folder) to

Large Format printing at home

I found this really great wallpaper online that I liked so much, I decided I wanted to hang it up in my room, as a poster. Being an impatient person, I wanted to be able to print it out myself so I could hang it straight up. I had seen this effect done before online somewhere, and throught it would be perfect for printing this picture out nice and large. This is the result: View from bedroom door From the foot of the bed As you can see, the bottom of the picture isn't quite complete because my printer ran out of Black ink, so it refused to go on, even though there was plenty of colour ink.. quite annoying. To create it, I made a large Photoshop document, to the exact size for 5x4 A4 sheets of paper, with 1cm gaps in between. Then using masks and exporting each section to a different image and printing, I was able to put them together to look like this. Very happy with the result, however printing onto glossy paper would have given it a much better look. I may end up